As we continue to experience the effects of ashfall, especially in the Southern Luzon area, car companies like Ford Philippines are reminding us to take care of our vehicles during these critical times.
Here are a few tips to keep your vehicle free from the ravages of damaging ashfall.
- Keep your vehicle under a covered garage or car cover. This helps prevent damage to paint and other vehicle parts.
- Make sure that the area around the fuel filler door is free of ash before filling up. This helps ensure that your fuel does not get contaminated and cause further damage to the engine.
- Speaking of the engine compartment, have this inspected and cleaned of ash if necessary. The last thing you need is a damaged engine.
- Check all filters, such as the engine filter to make sure that it is not clogged with ash. Have it cleaned if needed.
- If you really must drive under heavy ashfall, have your car cleaned as soon as possible. Use a garden hose with high pressure to remove ashfall. Never wipe down as this may easily scratch the paintwork.
- The same goes for the windshield and wipers. Do not use the wipers to clean an ash-filled windshield as you will scratch the glass. Lift the wipers and clean the blades and glass with water.
- Have the pollen filter checked to make sure it is not clogged.
If you really msut drive, just keep a slow and steady pace, keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front, switch your headlights on to low beam, and put the airconditioner in recirculation mode to make sure you don’t inhale the air from outside.
Simply put, take care of your vehicle and have a safe journey!